Saturday, January 15, 2011

Blender's Game #2

I can have a one-track mind at times.  This morning, the only word on my mind was "sorbet."  After browsing for some iPod Touch wallpapers (another mini-obsession) and making breakfast for Josh, I jumped right into the kitchen and began my work.  The fruit that I was going to use was fresh as opposed to frozen, so I had to put the container in the freezer overnight.  The container in question held strawberries, blueberries, cantaloupe, honeydew, and grapes.  It should be noted right here and now that I've always hated cantaloupe and honeydew with a passion.  However, all the containers of fruit at the store had some sort of melon, and I wasn't about to let something bought for me out of love and kindness go to waste.

Sort of lonely.

I opened the container and carefully picked out the strawberries and the blueberries.  Berries are delicious and I can totally tolerate them.  Except for poisonous berries, but I'm sure we can all agree on that topic.  I tossed the berries in the blender and decided to skip adding the water the recipe called for, just to see how much sorbet a tiny amount of berries such as this could yield.


About this much.
Intriguing.  Definitely an interesting color.  Despite my distaste for melons, I went ahead and dropped the rest of the fruit into the blender, including the grapes.  I added water as the recipe called for, about a cup, and a generous sprinkling of sugar.  About ten minutes of vigorous blender-shaking and shredding noises passed until I opened the blender to taste-test the sorbet.

Sorbet-baybay!
The sorbet was surprisingly thick and delicious.  I never thought it was going to be terrible, but the initial use of the melon pieces sort of put me off.  The berries and the melon complemented each other nicely.  To top it all off, the whole concoction was a gorgeous pink color.  In the words of Ina Garten, "How great is that?"  I don't know if Ina Garten actually said those exact words, but she totally would.

No comments:

Post a Comment